Maslow in Marketing

A major take away from Maslow’s well-renowned concept of the ‘Hierarchy of Needs’ is not just the idea of what each human needs at a particular stage in his/her life. It is also a lesson in how there is always a motivating factor that pushes man to look for something that can satisfy that very need. For instance, at the most primitive level, it is the need to survive that motivates one to satiate hunger and thirst. At the safety level, it is a need to feel secure that enables one to find sources of physical and emotional security. This very pattern is spread across all the five stages (i.e. physiological, security and safety, love and belonging, esteem, and self-actualization) and we need to, thus, acknowledge that at each stage, man is on the hunt for certain things or services that will ultimately satisfy the need relevant to that particular stage.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

This is where marketing comes to be associated with Maslow’s theory. As humans we all need the bare necessities of life that allow us to lead a life that is fulfilling. The very need and the fear of being deprived of the same provides a brilliant window of opportunity to companies to market their products and services. This also explains why most marketing material also appeals to our emotions and that, within us, which makes us vulnerable. We have a need that we must satisfy and the product being marketed does just that.

Hence, at each level of Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, my personal experience, too, has created a need within me for certain brands or products to enrich my life.

At the physiological level, I require the bare minimum before I can even begin to aspire for more. Here, a product like a water purifier by Kent can help quench thirst while also making sure that the water I consume is free from impurities since the company sells its product with a guarantee of safety. A supermarket like Spencer’s can take care of all my needs for food since it is a place where almost all food products can be found under one roof. It is the most convenient place to find any and all products that allow me to feel nourished.
Westside, a fashion store housing clothes, shoes, etc., has always been one of the first places I go to shop. It is a brand that satisfies my need to clothe myself and I find myself going there quite often.

Spencer's has most food and household products that one needs on a daily basis to live.

The second stage, i.e, the security stage, creates within us a need to feel secure in life, physically, emotionally or financially. At this level, I would turn towards a life insurance scheme or a bank savings account by ICICI to secure my life and my savings.
An ICICI Prudential ad that markets the idea of feeling protected

Due to the fear of being attacked, a surveillance set-up by CP Plus can help monitor all activity where I live. It helps gives anyone peace of mind and ensures that no act of violence would go unnoticed. 
Also, being a girl who has to travel alone every day in public transport, safety is an important issue for me. At a personal level, I have a larger need to feel secure while travelling, especially considering the rising crime rates against women. Hence, a pepper spray, which is sold by many companies on Amazon like Impower, Mace etc. can also contribute to safety and security.

Pepper sprays help most women feel secure while travelling.

Where the need for love and belonging is concerned, nowadays, the growth of social media has helped keep us connected. Applications like Whatsapp and Skype have helped me connect with my loved ones back home. I rely on it immensely to find validation and love from those who mean most to me. On most birthdays, we all tend to express our love for someone else via chocolates, so much so that now there is even a day dedicated to it. Dairy Milk is a brand that markets with the idea that love can be expressed on special days with a chocolate given as a gift and I, too, am a follower of that very idea. I rely on this product by Cadbury whenever I have to give a gift to someone I love. 

Ads by Dairy Milk that focus on friendship.

Archies, a store specializing in cards and gift items, is another such brand which can help in solidifying relationships, thereby, satisfying the need to love and be loved. Archies just does that form every time I buy a card for a friend or a gift for my family members.

As we climb up the ladder and needs continue to get satisfied, we also come to require a certain degree of self-esteem and respect that allows us to feel accomplished in society. Buying products from luxury brands such as a watch from Michael Kors, an iPhone or iPad from Apple and dining in places like JW Marriot or The Taj chain of hotels, have allowed me, on certain occasions, to feel a boost in self-esteem owing to the value attached to each of the above. These luxury choices are especially marketed to harp onto our need to feel a certain sense of achievement and give us a somewhat higher place in society.

Owning Apple products is seen as a sign of achievement due to its high price in the market.

However, once all the above four levels have been traversed and the needs have been met one by one, there comes a point where one feels fulfilled. The self-actualization level does not physically add anything to our being but what it allows us to feel is, perhaps, something much greater. It makes us feel fulfilled and content with everything, so much so, that there is no particular need for a product that might exist here. In turn, a need to give back in order to realize our maximum potential is blossoms in this stage.  Hence, to “actualize” my potential I would need the help of organizations like the Indian Red Cross Society, which has, even before, allowed me to donate blood and do my bit in helping the ailing and sick. It arouses a sense of fulfillment and makes me feel accomplished. Even Teach for India, that allows young people to spread education where it is most needed, can help me in achieving self-actualization since I have always loved teaching and interacting with children. 

NGOs like Teach for India inspire one to use their acquired knowledge for good. 

Lastly, a sense of fulfillment and achieving one’s potential might also come when one is studying in an institution that makes them feel accomplished and allows knowledge to grow within them. This is where Commits helps me since it is currently playing a pivotal role in shaping my being and allowing me to showcase all that I have to offer.

Hence, at each stage, the brands and products mentioned above, do their bit in satisfying the need hierarchy. There are many more examples that we can turn to in the marketing and advertising world, but the fact remains that companies use this concept to target exactly what we are looking for. It is this inherent need to survive and do better that always keeps us on the lookout for a product or service that will most definitely make our lives better and take us closer to self-actualization.

Comments

Popular Posts